Thursday 23 April 2020

Isolation reflections


I have been fortunate with this lockdown in that I already have a suite of tools to use in remote learning and my courses lend themselves to students working on their own and just checking in when they need help.

It has still been trying (motivation has been lacking, and I help the staff at our school get going with online/ digital learning which has been demanding). The other thing that I have found most trying is actually not being in the room with my kids; the banter is still there online but it's not the same. I miss them. A lot. I might even tell them that...

It looks like we are on track to lower our alert levels a little in a week's time. Our new normal is going to get a little weirder because we will be able to access the school and can have a limited number of essential students (only y9 and 10) in with a 1m gap between everyone at all stages.

They will be in a specific classroom, with specific teachers, but the majority of learners are being told to stay home and we have to continue with our online learning stuff while also being in school. The learners that come in will be working on the same stuff as those at home. I still won't be with the majority of my students and will continue teaching them asynchronously. More time at my little desk ahead, but it is comfortable and has everything I need!

One thing I have observed from all of this is that teachers are soooo much more versatile, flexible and resilient than people often give us credit for. We were given very little time to prepare to completely change the way we did everything, and we did it. We set up our home offices, sometimes with whiteboards and other props, sometimes just the computer and books. New tools have been learned rapidly, and the tech toolbox of so many people has been increased.

I am so proud of my colleagues, at my school and even globally for embracing change in the face of adversity with the minimum of fuss. I salute you all for the work you have put in for the learners and am proud to be a part of such a cool profession.

Kia kaha, Aotearoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment